Monday, March 7, 2011

Christmas 1997

Family is so important to me, and back in 1997 for Christmas break, I returned home from college.

I was 21, a few months away from graduating, and life was great.

With a total of 6 kids between my mom & step-dad, the house was chaotic, loud, and so much fun! I always looked forward to coming home for the holidays.

By the time I got home, my older sister & her boyfriend were already there.

I put my bags down & popped open up a beer. I barely sat down at the table when my sister smiled and lifted up her left hand, palm facing her so that I could see the beautiful engagement ring on her ring finger! I couldn't get to her fast enough and nearly spilled my beer trying to dive across the table.

Oh! It was such an exciting time!

Many of us invited our boyfriend/girlfriend over to celebrate the holiday with our family which led to seating 14 people at our dinner table.

14!

Some of us had to sit at the corner of the dinning room table on old rusty folding chair. The last ones to the table got the shaft. It was great!

Dinner conversation turned towards crazy stories from my step-brother who was still in college. Interesting how things always seemed to happen to him when he was completely innocent. We didn't buy it for a second.

My younger sister was the youngest of our herd and became an easy target for teasing. It was a role she didn't initially like, but over the past 6 years since being a blended family, she accepted the part as a symbol of love.

That was the last Christmas before we 'kids' started getting married. In 1997 we ranged in ages from 19 - 26.

We were all young adults.

We were all equals.

We were all in transitions in our lives.

We were all not-yet parents.

Between 1997 and 2000 marked a great time in our large family.
In the year 2000, we had 2 babies join us for Christmas. By 2010, we had 8.


Imagine you are meeting someone for the first time. You want to tell them about yourself.

Instead of reciting a laundry list of what you do or where you're from, please give us a scene from your life that best illustrates your true self.

13 comments:

  1. It is amazing how quickly that transition between young adults to parents goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big families really are great. My DH is the second of 9 kids. The first time I was at his house, I was totally overwhelmed. And that was before all the grandkids! Now, it's a zoo. There are 28 grandkids 11 and under. But it's a blast. I'm the oldest of four, but we are so spread apart that it was never that crazy at my house. I think I have finally gotten used to the noise! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved your story Jill, I really enjoyed learning about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your tweet that it's your first time writing along with RemembeRED and thought I'd stop in...it's my first time too! :>

    I can picture the commotion that's like a big hug when it comes from so many people you love talking away together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pretty big family too and always loved holiday time too. Especially since my older brothers started having kids when I was still in high school so there were always little ones to play with! :)

    I think you and I are the same age. I graduated from college in 19997 too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this. It really gave me a glimpse into your family; the joy of the group, and of the individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very special time and a fun family to be part of!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eighteen babies - WOW!

    I love the slice of time, when everyone was "equal."

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great story. I think about the time we were all equal too. Pre-marriage, kids and moves.

    What a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely! There were 6 of us with my Dad and stepmom as well.. I still am not sure how we shared a 3 bedroom/1 bathroom house! Holidays were always so busy though.. I love those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted a big family. Six kids, to be exact. I'm happy with my two, but stories like this make me want to go for a few more. My husband may ban me from reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete